Are you looking for high weight capacity rowing machine models?
Look no further because I have the best models in each price range and resistance type!
For a long time, heavier users had to pay a fortune to find a rowing machine with a high weight limit. Now you can find them in all price ranges and even different resistance types!
This allows losing weight in the comfort of your own home super easy and also allows you to buy a budget model before moving up to a more advanced level.
Below I will list the best way to find a high weight capacity rowing machine. Plus, I will list different resistance types and price ranges in each weight capacity group.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out or leave me a comment!
Choosing a Resistance Type & Price
I always recommend first picking a resistance type and price range. This will help narrow down your options the most!
When people used to search for high rowing machine weight limits, they were forced to buy either an air or water rower. However, they can now choose between magnetic and hydraulic-piston as well! So you can now choose any resistance type for your weight loss program.
|Rowing Machines||Description||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top Top||Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5 Performance Monitor, Black||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top Top||Sunny Health & Fitness Phantom Hydro Water Rowing Machine - SF-RW5910, Silver||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top Top||XTERRA Fitness ERG600W Water Rowing Machine||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top Top||Fitness Reality 3000WR Bluetooth Water Rower Rowing Machine with HIIT Workout, Black||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top Top||ECHANFIT Magnetic Rower Rowing Machine for Home Use Foldable w/16 Level of Quiet Magnetic Resistance with LCD Monitor and Adjustable Console Angle for Cardio Training (CR49)||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top Top||Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5639 Full Motion Rowing Machine Rower w/ 350 lb Weight Capacity and LCD Monitor||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top Top||Ironcompany.com WaterRower Natural Rowing Machine S4||Prime||Check Reviews|
If you’re confused about resistance types, then I suggest reading my resistance type breakdown article here. This article details all the different types and characteristics of each.
I also have an article comparing air vs. water resistance and another article comparing magnetic vs. air resistance.
After selecting a resistance type, you should select a desired price range. This can help eliminate more options and usually narrow it down to 1 or 2 choices.
For example, you may want an advanced monitor, which means you wouldn’t buy anything under $500. This would eliminate half the options! Then you may prefer magnetic resistance, leaving you with only 1 or 2 choices.
Search Options by Rowing Machine Weight Capacity
Many online retailers have realized that rowing machine weight limit is a big deciding factor, so they created a “weight capacity” category to sort the different options.
However, I have noticed that many times when you select a range like 300-400 lbs., there are many models missing that are in this range.
For example, the least expensive rowing machine with a high weight capacity has a limit of 350lbs., but when I searched this range it wasn’t included.
I still think it is a great feature to have and I’ll show you how to use it below.
For Amazon, you can visit the Main Rowing Machine Page here and look on the left sidebar (on a laptop). You will then see a filter for “Weight Capacity” where you can select your desired range.
A lot of times when using a smartphone, there are less filter options, which means they may not be available if you are browsing on your phone.
Ok, now on to the different models in each weight capacity. Don’t forget to review all options because some models in the 350 lb. category cost less than models in the 300 lb. section.
I will also list each option with a dollar symbol:
- “$” ($349 & Under)
- “$$” ($350-$599)
- “$$$” ($600 & Up)
Rowing Machine 300 lb Weight Capacity
The average budget rowing machine has a weight limit of 250 lbs, so 300 lbs is going to be the next bump up.
There are plenty of options to choose from in the “rowing machine 300 lb weight capacity” section but this section is dominated by water rowers! But don’t worry, there are more resistance types offered in the higher weight limit sections that are also in various price ranges.
I will list a short description of the rower, a link to my review, and a button to check current pricing. My review will cover all the other details about the model.
Sunny Health & Fitness Phantom Hydrow Water Rower ($$)
The Sunny Phantom Hydro is a great mid-range water rower that provides everything you need for a great workout and to get that heart rate going! It even has an angled water tank that provides more resistance which leads to burning more calories and losing weight!
The weight limit is 300 lbs. and it’s a great option for someone wanting a solid, beginner water rowing machine. Check out my full Sunny Health & Fitness Phantom Hydrow Water Rower review here.
- Highly durable frame
- Higher-than-average water resistance
- Great pre-set programs
- Convenient design to accommodate a tablet or smartphone video-accompanied workout
- Sub-par foot strap quality
- No backlight on LCD monitor
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 81.50″ x 21.25″ x 39.50″
- Storage Dimensions (L x W x H): 43.00″ x 21.25″ x 51.00″
- Assembled Weight: 88.2 lb
- Shipping Weight: 105 lb
- WATER RESISTANCE: The water tank holds water at a 60-degree angle with 16 hydro blades that provides resistance.
- PERFORMANCE MONITOR: Monitor with swivel feature, track time, distance, strokes, total strokes, SPM (strokes per min), time/500m, calories, pulse, calendar, temperature & clock.
- DURABLE DESIGN: Rower is built to handle 300 LB max user weight with a comfortable molded seat.
- FOLDABLE SPACE SAVER: Unique upright foldable design to store in a compact space.
- DEVICE HOLDER: Place your device in the holder tray with the swivel featu
Fitness Realty 3000WR Rower ($$)
If you want to check out another water rower with a tilted/angled water rowing tank (and a 300 lb weight limit), then check out the Fitness Realty 3000WR Water Rower here.
It also provides a great full body workout and a high performance monitor / fitness app.
- Comes with Bluetooth capabilities and MyCloudFitness app
- Reasonable price & Easy assembly
- 180-day parts warranty
- Suitable for individuals up to 6’6” tall
- Monitor display is basic and doesn’t have a backlight
- Heel cups are uncomfortable
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 77.3” x 20.0” x 34.0”
- Storage Dimensions (L x W x H): 29.0” x 70.0” x 77.3”
- Assembled Weight: 71.9 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 92 lbs.
- 300 lbs. Weight capacity
- Angled water tank slows down water faster between pulls, which provides better resistance for each stroke than others in flat position
- Water resistance levels (1-6) can be adjusted with included water pump and funnel
- MyCloudFitness App capability available June 2
XTERRA Fitness ERG600W Rower ($$)
My next model with a 300 lb weight limit is the ERG600W by XTERRA Fitness. This is another great mid-range water rower that will provide everything you need for a great full body workout.
You can check out my full XTERRA ERG600W review here and I also recommend a similar model below.
- 6 levels to adjust water tank
- Multi-function LCD monitor
- Solid construction & Excellent warranty
- 13.5″ seat height
- Poor footrest quality & design
- Adjusting water levels can be tedious
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 80.7″ x 22.0″ x 33.0″
- Stored Dimensions (L x W x H): 33.0″ x 22.0″ x 80.7″
- Assembled Weight: 82.7 lbs
- Shipping Weight: 104.7 lbs
- 300 lbs. Weight capacity
- Includes 7 workout programs to keep you motivated
- 6 resistance levels - determined by the amount of water used in the tank
- Large 5. 5 LCD console features an easy height and angle adjustment for the perfect viewing angle
Sunny Health & Fitness Obsidian Surge ($$)
Another option (similar reviews and pricing) is the Sunny Health & Fitness Obsidian Surge. It also does not have an angled water but it packs one heck of a full body workout that’ll get your heart rate pumping!
You can check out my full review here.
- Adjustable water level provides strong resistance
- Excellent build quality
- Easy upright storage to save space
- 17.0″ seat height for great comfort
- No backlight or heart rate receiver on LCD monitor
- Must use siphon to add or subtract water
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 78.74″ x 22.05″ x 33.46″
- Stored Dimensions (L x W x H): 33.46″ x 22.05″ x 78.74″
- Assembled Weight: 81.6 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 95.5 lbs.
- WATER PERFORMANCE: Instant resistance is available with the flywheel and 16 fan blades. The faster the fan blades spin the higher resistance and dynamic response
- DESIGN: Constructed with lightweight sturdy steel, for solid performance and durability.
- FITNESS TECHNOLOGY: The R2 fitness meter is designed to accurately track all essential workout metrics, i.e. total time, 500 M time, SPM, total strokes, calories, hr., ambient temperature, and more
- WEIGHT CAPACITY: 300 l
Sunny Health & Fitness Ultra Tension Pro ($$)
A great magnetic option with a 300 lb weight limit is the Sunny Health & Fitness Ultra Tension Pro. It has strong resistance, very quiet resistance, and a decent monitor that can record heart rate.
This is one of the least expensive magnetic rowing machines with a 300 lb. weight limit. See my full Ultra tension Pro review here.
Rowing Machine 350 lb Capacity
The next bump up in weight capacity is to the 350 lb. limit. Just because these rowing machines have higher weight capacities, doesn’t mean they cost more!
The “rowing machine 350 lb capacity” category actually holds the lowest cost high weight capacity rowing machine option!
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5639 Full Motion Rower ($)
The Sunny SF-RW5639 is a hydraulic-piston rower with two “free-motion” rowing arms. This is a great option for people wanting the orbital arms or a very inexpensive rower.
The SF-RW5639 has very strong supports and a very compact design. You can read my full Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5639 review here. It’s a great option when looking for heavy duty rowing machines in the lower price range.
- 12 levels of adjustable resistance
- Very low cost
- 38.0″ of seat travel length
- Lightweight (33 lbs.) & Compact
- Resistance can be weak for strong users
- Basic monitor (normal in price range)
- Weight Capacity: 350 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 51.5″ x 24.0″ x 14.0″
- Assembled Weight: 33 lbs.
- Extended weight capacity of 350 lb.
- 12 Levels of adjustable resistance
- Full motion arms allows for larger range of motions for the shoulders
- Fully padded seat and non-slip grip handlebars provide optimal comfort and support
- Large anti-slip foot pedals with adjustable foot straps for secure foot
Echanfit Magnetic Rowing Machine ($)
A great, low-cost magnetic option is the Echanfit Magnetic Rower.
It’s already a high-rated magnetic rower and having a 350 lb weight capacity makes it that much better!
Be sure to check out my full Echanfit Magnetic Rower review here.
- Good price point
- 16 levels of resistance
- Phone & tablet holder
- Small footprint & Folds for storage
- Not a lot of information available about the manufacturer & warranty
- Basic warranty & Basic monitor
- Weight Capacity: 350 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 75.20″ x 19.29″ x 15.75″
- Folded Dimensions (L x W x H): 40.00″ x 19.29″ x 46.06″
- Product Weight: ~67 lbs.
- Quiet and Smooth Rower: Magnetic resistance system combines with improved slide rail which ensures silent and smooth exercise workout action.
- Full-Body Muscle Workout
- 16 Levels Resistance
- Fit for Most Users: Heavy-duty steel frame which is sturdy and durable and supports 350 lb capacity. With 47 inseam length, suitable for 66 max height.
- Real-time Workout Data: The LCD monitor displays feedback on your Time, Distance, Calories, Count, Total Count and RPM which track your progress towards fitness goals.
Rowing Machine 400 lb Capacity & Above
Getting into the 400 lb. and 500 lb. weight capacity rowing machines means we are looking at some high-quality models. These heavy duty rowing machines are built like tanks and are often used in gyms and training centers.
Concept2 Model D Indoor Rower ($$$)
The Concept2 Model D is the #1 bestselling rowing machine and it is used by Olympic rowers and professional athletes around the world! It is an air resistant rower, so it has very little maintenance and it features the best performance monitor.
In my opinion, the Concept2 is the best value out of all the options and the best of the “rowing machine 400 lb capacity” section! Plus, it has a 500 lb. weight limit so I guess you can say it’s the best in that section as well!
Check out my full Concept2 Model D review here.
- Concept2 Model D is made by the most respected brand in the rowing industry
- It’s solidly built for commercial-use and requires a minimal amount of maintenance
- The included PM5 monitor is one of the best workout monitors on the market
- It’s easy to assemble and takes seconds to store away
- Concept2 has a dedicated online community. Easy to find workout tutorials and instructions.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee (see warranty for full details)
- Best overall rowing machine on the market.
- The unit is approximately 8 feet long so a lot of space is required to use this rower
- The seat can be uncomfortable for some people and it gets harder after years of use.
- The fan can be too noisy for some people. It will get louder the harder/faster your row.
- Weight Capacity: 500 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 96.0″ x 24.0″ x 14.0″
- Seat Height: 14.0″
- Stored Dimensions (L x W x H): 25.0″ x 33.0″ x 54.0″
- Machine Weight: 57 Pounds
- Space Recommended for Use (L x W): 9.0′ x 4.0′
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- Low impact workout that engages all major muscle groups; work legs, core and arms with a smooth, high calorie-burning motion
- Track your progress with real-time reliable data; the Performance Monitor 5 (included) self-calibrates for comparable results; connect wirelessly to heart rate belts and apps (not includ
WaterRower Natural Rowing Machine ($$$)
The WaterRower brand of rowing machines makes the best water resistance rowers on the market. They are made of wood, so they look amazing! Plus, they have well over a 400 lb weight capacity and even over a 500 lb capacity!
Some websites list it as having a 700 lb weight limit (and a few years ago they said it could handle 1,000 lbs. but have since removed that limit)
There are a few different WaterRower models that are each made of different wood types, which changes the price. The WaterRower Natural is a popular seller and a lower-cost model. You can read my full WaterRower Natural review here.
WaterRower is even trusted by rowing centers like OrangeTheory who use them in commercial settings!
- Solidly built with smooth and realistic rowing motion
- Easy “upright” storage
- Comfortable seat & handle
- Can further adjust rowing experience by adding/ subtracting water
- Can link S4 LCD monitor to a computer for advanced features
- Price can be high
- Performance monitor lacking some advanced features
- Weight Capacity: 700 lbs
- Assembled Dimensions (L x W x H): 83.0″ x 22.0″ x 21.0″
- Stored/ Upright (L x W x H): 21.0″ x 22.0″ x 83.0″
- 117 pounds [53 kg] (full water tank)
- 73 pounds [33 kg] (empty water tank)
- Handcrafted rowing machine with water flywheel that replicates actual rowing feel
- Flywheel sits in enclosed water tank to provide smooth, quiet, self-regulated resistance
- Series 4 performance monitor tracks workout intensity, stroke rate, heart rate, and more
- Solid ash and stained honey oak construction absorbs sound and vibration
- Stores upright; measures 84 x 21 x 22 inches (W x H x D) and weighs 117 pou
Other High Weight Capacity Rowing Machines
As you move into the “$600 & Up” price range you will see a lot more rowing machines begin to have higher weight limits. The two options below are very similar to the Concept2 Model D and the WaterRower Natural, however, they are less expensive!
There are obviously some trade-offs so I recommend reading my reviews but they are really great heavy duty rowing machines! Both provide amazing full body workouts that will kick your weight loss program into overdrive.
First up is the Xebex Rower which uses air resistance. There are actually a few different air resistant models that are all listed with a 500 lb weight capacity – so they should be suitable for everyone.
Check out my complete Xebex Rower breakdown here.
Next up is the WaterRower A1 Home Rower! It’s actually very similar to the WaterRower Natural except it has a mono-rail and not a dual-rail (as shown in the photo below). Its LCD monitor is also slightly downgraded from the other WaterRower models.
Having only one rail makes the weight capacity drop a bit to 660 lbs but that should be suitable for most people!
Check out my WaterRower A1 Rower review here!
- American Ash wood (from sustainable forests) / Black Powdercoated Aluminum Wave Monitor All WaterRower A1 series models are equipped with upgraded 17 handles. In Use: Length - 83.5” / 212 cm, Width - 22.25” / 57 cm, Height - 20” / 51 cm Stored: Depth - 20” / 51 cm, Width - 22.25” / 57 cm, Height - 83.5” / 212 cm Weight: 61 lbs / 28 kg (dry), 98 lb / 44.5 kg (17 l of wate
The last model I wanted to mention is the LifeCore R100 Rower. This used to be a very popular model but has since lost popularity as I’m not even sure the company is still in business!
It boasted a 660 lb weight limit when most heavy duty rowing machines were rated under 350 lbs. I still have a review of the LifeCore R100 Rowing Machine but make sure to check if it’s in stock before diving too deep into this model!
As you now know, there are a bunch of great high weight capacity rowing machine models! Plus, you can now find some really good models in the lower price ranges, which is great for the price-conscious consumer.
So no more excuses for putting off losing weight and getting fit! Below is a list of all the models mentioned above:
|Rowing Machines||Description||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top||Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5 Performance Monitor, Black||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top||Sunny Health & Fitness Phantom Hydro Water Rowing Machine - SF-RW5910, Silver||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top||XTERRA Fitness ERG600W Water Rowing Machine||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top||Fitness Reality 3000WR Bluetooth Water Rower Rowing Machine with HIIT Workout, Black||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top||ECHANFIT Magnetic Rower Rowing Machine for Home Use Foldable w/16 Level of Quiet Magnetic Resistance with LCD Monitor and Adjustable Console Angle for Cardio Training (CR49)||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top||Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5639 Full Motion Rowing Machine Rower w/ 350 lb Weight Capacity and LCD Monitor||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
|Top||Ironcompany.com WaterRower Natural Rowing Machine S4||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top||WaterRower A1 Home Rowing Machine||Prime||Check Reviews|
|Top||Sunny Health & Fitness Obsidian Surge 500 Water Rowing Machine - SF-RW5713 , Black||PrimeEligible||Check Reviews|
As I mentioned, I would first try to pick your favorite 1 or 2 resistance types. Then have a price range in mind. This usually narrows it down to just a few options.
If you aren’t looking to spend more than $500 and you have a favorite resistance type, you may only have 1 option!
If you don’t have a price limit, then I feel the best option for a high rowing machine weight capacity is the Concept2 Model D. This model is really the best overall rowing machine and will last a lifetime. Plus, it is manufactured by the #1 rowing company in the world!
If you want a slightly quieter rowing machine, then I would opt for a WaterRower model like the WaterRower Natural.
I hope this article was able to help you find a great option with a high rowing machine weight limit! If I missed any models with a high weight capacity, please leave it in the comment section below!